At least 50 batteries were found in a woman’s stomach while she was on a hospital visit at St. Vincent’s University Hospital in Dublin.
The medical staff at the hospital disclosed after performing an X-Ray that there were 55 batteries in the 66-year-old woman’s body.
Since the batteries were not interfering with her gastrointestinal tract or blocking it, doctors hoped that she would be able to pass them naturally.
She was able to excrete out five AA batteries in the first week but the others were stuck, according to the report in the Irish Medical Journal.
The doctors realised that due to the weight of the batteries, her distended stomach was hanging above the pubic bone. Therefore, they decided to operate on her.
The rest of the 46 batteries were removed by the surgeons, still leaving behind four trapped in her colon.
After much hard work, the doctors managed to bring the four into her rectum so she could excrete them, reported The Huffington Post.
The authors of the articles said that this could be recorded as “the highest number of batteries ingested”.
Ingesting batteries is a method of self-harm that the authors warned against in the journal article.
It can cause serious issues like “mucosal injury, perforation, and obstruction.”
“The potential of cylindrical batteries to result in acute surgical emergencies should not be underestimated,” the report added.